1951 ENERN





Flagg (flag):




Byggeår (year built):


Bnr (Sno).:


Bygger (yard):

Framnæs Mekaniske Værksted, Sandefjord 

Eier (owner):

AS Thor Dahl 

Klasse (Class).:




Tonnasje (Tonnage):

Brt: 548 

Dimensjoner (size):

L: 158`B: 29`- 6"

(catching equipm.):






Kommunikasjon (comm.):


Kallesignal (Call sign.):




Fremdrift (propulsion):

Fredrikstad damp nr.6 



Hjelpemaskineri (aux):


Tot.el.kraft (el.power):


Kjele(r) (boiler):

2 x vannrørskjeler (water tube boiler) m/overheter, oljefyrt 



Bemanning (crew):





1951 Bygget som hvalbåt ENERN ved  Framnæs mek. Værksted, Sandefjord. Overlevert i september til A/S Odd (A/S Thor Dahl), Sandefjord.
Startet sin første sesong med
Fl/k THORSHAVET i sesongen 1951/52
Omdøpt TOERN da en ny motordrevet hvalbåt fikk navnet ENERN.
Uviss fangsthistorikk, men fanget sin siste sesong, 1961/62 for Fl/k THORSHØVDI
1962 I opplag i Sandefjord.
1963 Solgt 28/12 for NOK.110.000,- til Norsk Skipsopphugning, Grimstad for hugging










Kilde: Narve Sørensen, Fmv egne arkiver, UWG
Tilrettelagt: 17.10.2013        OL

After 71 years with a double life, it is the Guard Valiant’s turn to be broken up.
Norwegian whalers in Antarctica © Horizons de France

This whaling vessel originally called the Thorgaut was built in Sandefjord, head office of the seven
principal ship owners who formed Norway’s dominant whaling industry. The Thorgaut was owned by
Thor Dahl, the owner of two factory ships and 11 whale catchers. The first vessel to carry the name,
Thorgaut was launched in 1929, in 1938 she was shipwrecked and three crew members were lost in the
Weddell Sea. The new Thorgaut had a lot more luck. In November 1940 arriving in the Southern Ocean
with other whale catchers and the factory ship the Thorshammer, she escaped the operation “Pinguin”
set up by the German Navy wishing to seize the factory ships to use them as tankers as well as the
whale catchers which would be converted into mine layers or mine sweepers.
February 27th 2008, the arrival in the port of Kristiansund
(Norway) of the safety vessel Guard Valiant, ex-Thorgaut, ©
Svein Atle Skarshaug
Taking advantage of the fog and snow while hiding in the obscurity and listening to the radio
communications between the Norwegian fleet at the break of dawn, the Pinguin under the orders of
captain Krüder managed to take control of 3 factory ships and 11 whalers, all double-hulled and well
made. The Thorshammer and her support vessels managed to escape the Kriegsmarine pirates. The
three captured factory ships became German. The Ole Wegger was stationed in Bordeaux, she may
have been scuttled in the Seine, in Sahurs downstream from Rouen in August 1944. In 1942 the
Solglimt may have been bombarded by allied aircraft in Cherbourg 1942, reducing her to a wreck. The
Pelagos was used in Narvik as floating fuel storage. The Pinguin, was a cargo vessel built in 1936 in
Bremen, converted into a warship in 1940. 155m in length, she had a crew of 400 men, 13 cannons, 2
seaplane bombers and the reassuring silhouette of a merchant ship. After her daring play in Antarctica
the “raider” was chased by the Royal Navy. On May 8th 1941, the Pinguin was hit directly on the mine
Ship-breaking.com # 22 - Robin des Bois / January 2011 - 38/39
bunker by a salva launched from the Cromwell, and was disintegrated. A total of 200 allied prisoners
and 342 German sailors including the captain perished in the shipwreck off the coast of Mozambique.
As for the Thorshammer, she headed for New Orleans in April 1941 to unload 15,000 tons of whale oil.
Her faithful whale catchers took refuge in Montevideo. In spite of the risks linked to war and the
haunting of the Pinguin ghost fleet they all returned to Antarctica a few months later. During this time of
shortage whale oil was sold at the price of gold.

In 1937 the so called London Conference was signed and Norway was a signatory member. This conference was a first step establishing the International Whaling Conference. During
the whaling campaign of the winter of 1937-38, Norway promoted scientific whaling. The research particularly focused on marking the cetaceans using special guns with stainless steel tubes 27
cm in length shot into the blubber coated with penicillin to avoid infections! Later when the whales were captured and dismembered, the marks gave information on the growth rate and
migratory patterns of the species. Norway had opened the field in Antarctica for Japanese scientific whaling. In 1943 we are back on the trace of the Thorgaut, still safe and sound. She was registered as WYP377 a patrol boat mobilised by the Coast Guards in San Francisco, after having been adapted for her mission at a cost of $13,750: a cannon in the place of a harpoon! Along with eight other Norwegian whalers the WYP377 patrolled the American waters and roamed between San Francisco, Seattle and
Honolulu. In 1944, she was demobilised and the ex- WYP377 renamed the Thorgaut fled in November
with her eight accomplices to Antarctica, passing by Valparaiso, in the unstoppable pursuit of whales.
She carried out whaling campaigns up until 1955. Between 1955 and 1965, it seems that she continued
to hunt in Arctic waters under the name of Berg Karl. In 1965, still flying a Norwegian flag she was
converted into a fishing vessel.
She then took up a second career as a standby safety ship, under the name of Cam Valiant and Guard
Valiant, flying the British flag before returning to the Norwegian flag. She has now become a sort of
Newfoundland dog in charge of rescue services for oil platforms in the North Sea with a capacity of
catering for 200 survivors. To accomplish this mission she was extended twice from 41 m to 45 then
finally to 47 m. She was even equipped with an emergency operating room and a morgue. However, the
last attempt by the owner to sell the ship to continue service failed and the ex Thorgaut, half guardian
angel of the oceans, half demon of the whales, ended up being demolished in Denmark at the end of
                                                                                                    Kilde: Ship breaking.com